16 Jul 2013

The Radio

I grew up in very difficult years in Brazil. The dictatorship tried to make our artists quiet and the American influence in those years was undeniable. In the eighties, when the dictatorship became weak, quite a few great Brazilian rock bands emerged singing   all the rage that we had been repressed for years.  Therefore I am not angry that we heard a lot of English songs because, in this way, we learnt the rebelliousness and the irreverence of rock music. And honestly, I love this style of music. Nevertheless MPB (*) will be always MPB.



When we moved to Cheshire, I realized that most of the music I used to listen to as a teenager came from this part of England. My new English friends used to listen to the same songs. And now when I am leaving they gave this present: a radio which looks like a woman’s bag! I love it! What a great idea from my chums, I will be able to listen to music at the same time as remembering them.  By the way, as I have just related to you, Rock also reminds me of Brazil and of hard but magic years.

* musica popular brasileira 

No comments:

Post a Comment